Apologizing for all the shortcomings, SBY Asks People to Support President Jokowi
Date 20 Oktober 2014
A few days prior to the end of his tenure, President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono (SBY) attended National Gathering (Silatnas) themed Towards Sustainable National Development at Sentul International Convention Center (SICC), Bogor, Wednesday (15/10).
The gathering which was a reflection of the ending of President SBY-Vice President Boedionos tenure was attended by the officials of local administration from Governors, Mayors, Military Commanders (Pangdam), Indonesian Police Chiefs (Kapolda), Military District Chief s(Dandim), Municipal Police Chiefs from all over Indonesia.
President SBY hoped that Silatnas could unite our heart, spirit, and determination to continue Indonesias development to be more advanced, just, and prosperous.
Furthermore, the President addressed five messages:
- Leaders should realize that development was a long term process which had to be continued.
- Leaders should understand that reformation was sustainable and meant change;
- Leaders should be open and fair in continuing development, meaning leaders had to realize the achievements of the previous leaders, as well as the shortcomings to be the homework of the successor.
- Leaders should synergize central and regional administrations to obtain better results; and
- Leaders should kindle unity and harmony pillars so Indonesia could face global challenges.
In the occasion, President SBY conveyed his apology for all his shortcomings in leading the nation and for failing to fulfill the expectations of all Indonesian people. SBY said that in five more days he would become an ordinary citizen and he excuses himself to all Indonesian people. He also asked the people to provide full support to the new leader, President Joko Widodo (Jokowi) which would succeed him on 20th October.
I ask you all to support President Joko Widodo in facing new big challenges, President SBY said while hoping that all parties could support the new government that it ran successfully. In the closing of his speech, President SBY said Congratulations on the new job, new duty, and good luck!
Previously, the Association of Indonesias Provincial Administrations (APPSI) handed a reward to President SBY. As the Chairman of APPSI Syahrul Yasin Limpo was pinning on President SBY, he said This soft landing is recorded as a new history.
Coordinating Minister of Politic, Legal, and Security Djoko Suyanto said that Silatnas was also intended to welcome the new government which would be inaugurated on 20th October. And he asked the audience to pray for Minister of Home Affairs Gamawan Fauzi to get well soon . (WID/Humas Setkab/ES)