BMKG Warns Against Extreme Drought in Indonesia

By Office of Assistant to Deputy Cabinet Secretary for State Documents & Translation
Date 4 Juli 2019
Category: News
Read: 588 Views

KekeringanBased on monitoring results of Rainless Day (HTH) as of 30 June 2019, several areas in Indonesia in Java, Bali and Nusa Tenggara islands will suffer long to extreme drought in the upcoming months, the Meteorology, Climatology, and Geophysics Agency (BMKG) has predicted.

Deputy of Climatology of the BMKG Herizal in a press release on Wednesday (3/5) stated that the areas as well as category of drought risk are as follows:

I. AWAS (DANGER): the areas have experienced HTH >61 days and have low rainfall possibility of <20mm in the next 10 days with 70% chance. The areas include West Java (Bekasi, Karawang, and Indramayu), Central Java (Karanganyar, Klaten, Magelang, Purworejo, Rembang, Semarang, Semarang, and Wonogiri), most of East Java, Special Region of Yogyakarta (Bantul, Gunung Kidul, Kulonprogo, and Sleman), Bali (Buleleng), East Nusa Tenggara (Sikka, Lembata, East Sumba, Rote Ndao, Kupang City, and Belu), and West Nusa Tenggara (Bima, Bima City, East Lombok, Sumbawa and East Sumbawa).

II. SIAGA (CAUTION): the areas have experienced HTH >31 days and have low rainfall possibility of <20mm in the next 10 days with 70% chance. The areas include North Jakarta and Banten (Lebak, Pandeglang, and Tangerang).

III. WASPADA (WARNING): the areas have experienced HTH >21 days and have low rainfall possibility of <20mm in the next 10 days with 70% chance. The areas include Aceh (Aceh Besar, Pidie, and Bireuen), Jambi (Merangin, Batanghari, and Bengkayang), Lampung (Way Kanan), Central Kalimantan (Pulangpisau), West Kalimantan (Bengkayang), and South Sulawesi (Bantaeng, Selayar, and Takalar).

In addition, the Agency has reported that 37% of Indonesia’s areas have entered the dry season, while the remaining 63% are still experiencing the rainy season.

Areas that have entered the dry season, Herizal continued, include North Aceh, Riau, Jambi, South Sumatra, Bengkulu, Bangka Belitung, Lampung, Java, Bali, West Nusa Tenggara, East Nusa Tenggara, Southern South Sulawesi, West Kalimantan, South Kalimantan, Southern East Kalimantan, Maluku, and Southern Papua

However, he added that some areas will still experience high rainfall possibility despite the dry season. Areas categorized as SIAGA (rainfall possibility of >200mm in the next 10 days with 70% chance) include Central Sulawesi (Morowali, Banggai, and Tojounauna) and Papua (Yahukimo, Pegunungan Bintang, Asmat, Mimika, Jayawijaya, Nabire, and Paniai).

For that reason, Herizal called on the public to remain vigilant and cautious of the drought which could impact the agricultural sector with rainfed system, the availability of ground water (scarcity of clean water), and increased potential for fire.

For further information on latest weather condition, the public can access http://www.bmkg.go.id and Twitter and Instagram accounts of BMKG at @infobmkg, or contacting the nearest BMKG office. (EN/BMKG PR/ES)

 

Translated by : Fairuzzamani Inayatillah
Edited by : Estu Widyamurti, Mia M. Bonaedy

Latest News