Cabinet Responds to President Jokowi’s Strong Rebuke of Ministers: State Secretary
Date 6 Juli 2020
Following President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo’s strong rebuke of a sluggish response to the COVID-19 outbreak, Minister of State Secretary Pratikno stated that the Indonesian Onward Cabinet has responded to it by speeding up the Government’s programs and increasing budget absorption in order to maintain people’s purchasing power.
“In a relatively short time, we are seeing an extraordinary progress at ministries and institutions, among others, the increased budget absorption and programs that have been running,” he said Monday (6/7).
The Minister also pointed out that the President had been paying close attention to issues of the COVID-19 handling, health, and economic repercussions caused by the pandemic. For this reason, the Head of State, he added, has also ordered his Cabinet Ministers to have the same focus and concerns in dealing with the pandemic.
“In fact, he is also very aware that we must not merely resolve the pandemic issue but also seize the momentum for fundamental reforms. Therefore, the President continues to encourage all institutions, particularly, cabinet ministers to work harder,” he said.
Pratikno also raised the issue of cabinet reshuffle as stated by the President recently as an impetus for the the Cabinet to work harder.
The Minister also expressed hope that the public will no longer discuss the issue; instead, he said, the public must focus their energy and mind on seeking solutions to the ongoing health and economic issues.
“The Cabinet has quickly responded to the President’s strong message. Through good progress, the issue of cabinet reshuffle is no longer relevant now,” the Minister said. (BPMI/EN)
Reviewed by: M. Ersan Pamungkas