Choose the Best Leader, President Jokowi Says

By Office of Assistant to Deputy Cabinet Secretary for State Documents & Translation
Date 27 Juni 2018
Category: News
Read: 2.426 Views

Pesan-PilkadaPresident Joko “Jokowi” Widodo called on the people to vote for the best leader during the simultaneous regional elections held on Wednesday (27/6). The President also urged the people to maintain harmony regardless of differences in political choices.

“Let’s vote for the best leaders at district, municipality, and province levels. Our preferences may be different, but we must remain brothers and sisters. Happy voting!” President Jokowi tweeted through his Twitter account @jokowi one day before the election.

The President also stressed that despite differences in political choice, the people must support the elected candidate to carry out their jobs in the next five years. “I invite all Indonesian people to stand together regardless of our political choices,” President Jokowi said through his Facebook fanpage.

The President added that as a big nation, Indonesia is still facing many bigger problems in the future and those problems can only be faced through national unity.

For the record, 514 pairs took part in the election to become governor/deputy governor, regent/deputy regent, and mayor/deputy mayor. At many as 435 candidate pairs or 83.4 percent from the total are nominated by political parties and the remaining 16.6 percent participate as independent candidates.

As many as 153 candidates have state civil apparatus (ASN) background, thirteen candidates have military/police background, 448 candidates are politicians and 500 candidates are businessmen.

Among 153 candidates with ASN background, six are running in governor elections, 59 are running in regent elections, eighteen are running in mayor elections and fifteen are running deputy mayors.

The elections are held in 171 regions to elect 17 governors, 115 regents and 39 mayors across Indonesia. (ES) (GWH/EP/Naster)

Latest News