Former Indonesian Students Share Experiences during 1965 Incident

By Office of Assistant to Deputy Cabinet Secretary for State Documents & Translation     Date 27 Juni 2023
Category: News
Read: 847 Views

President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo launches program for non-judicial resolution recommendations of past gross human rights violations in Indonesia, at Rumoh Geudong, Pidie regency, Aceh province, Tuesday (06/27). (Photo by: BPMI of Presidential Secretariat)

During the launch of program for non-judicial resolution recommendations of past gross human rights violations, two former international students affected by Indonesia’s 1965 incident Tuesday (06/27) shared their stories with President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo at Rumoh Geudong, Aceh province.

A representative of Indonesian students who was studying in the Czech Republic Suryo Martono told that several students could not return to Indonesia due to the incident.

“We could not return to Indonesia because our passports had been revoked,” Suryo said.

He went on to say that the incident occurred in Indonesia on September 30, 1965, led to passport revocation of several Indonesian students.

“16 students and I at the Indonesian Students Association (PPI) in the Czech Republic at that time had all our passports revoked since we didn’t want to sign an agreement to form a new government,” he said.

Sudaryanto Priyono, a former international student who was studying in Moscow, Russia, said that he had his Indonesian citizenship revoked.

“I did not meet the screening requirements. We had to condemn Bung Karno, and I firmly could not take it. In a week after I received a notification letter that my passport had been revoked, I also had lost my citizenship,” he said.

On a separate occasion, Suryo also expressed appreciation for the program launched by the Government in implementing recommendations for non-judicial resolution of past gross human rights violations.

According to Suryo, the move has shown the Government’s concern for the victims.

“This may not satisfy all parties, but for me personally this is a significant step that is taken very seriously and selflessly,” he said.

In addition, Suryo also expressed hope that the younger generation will not experience the same thing in the future.

“Hopefully, the younger generation will not suffer the same fate as 12 incidents that happened in the past,” he added.

Echoing the same sentiment, Sudaryanto said that the Government has taken a step full of courage and showed a policy full of responsibility.

“We did not expect that the Government would still have concerns about Indonesians abroad. The program shows the President’s high level of wisdom,” he said. (TGH/UN) (RIF/LW)

Latest News