Gov’t Bans Mudik
Date 21 April 2020
President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo on Tuesday (21/4) has made a decision to ban mudik (annual exodus ahead of Eid al-Fitr) this year.
“I want to make a decision. After a regulation prohibiting State Civil Apparatus (ASN), personnel of the Indonesian Defense Forces (TNI) and the National Police (Polri), as well as state-owned enterprises (BUMN) employees from returning to their hometowns was issued last week, at today’s meeting I want to announce that we will ban mudik altogether,” President Jokowi said in his introductory remarks at a Limited Cabinet Meeting through video conference on Follow up Meeting on the Anticipation of Mudik.
Furthermore, President Jokowi ordered his Cabinet Ministers to prepare necessary measures to enforce the ban.
On that occasion, the President said that based on field research and a survey conducted by Ministry of Transportation, the Government found that 68 percent of people to not participate in the annual exodus, while 24 percent still insist on leaving, and 7 percent had already left for their hometowns.
“It means that there is still a big percentage (of people who will participate in mudik), which is 24 percent,” President Jokowi said.
President Jokowi also reminded all relevant ministers regarding the Government’s program on social assistance.
“We ha started the distribution of social assistance yesterday; the distribution of staple food packages for Greater Jakarta (Jabodetabek) has been started and the Pre-employment Card program has been launched. Cash Transfer Assistance (BLT) will be also disbursed this week,” the President said. (FID / EN)
Translated by: Syarifah Aisyah
Reviewed by: Mia Medyana