Gov’t Continuously Provides Housing Program for Low-Income People Amid Pandemic

By Office of Assistant to Deputy Cabinet Secretary for State Documents & Translation     Date 11 Desember 2020
Category: News
Read: 534 Views


Amid the COVID-19 pandemic, the Indonesian Government continued to provide habitable houses for low-income people through the One Million Houses Program launched by President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo on 29 April 2015.

“The One Million Houses Program will continue because housing is one of the basic needs of the society that must be met,” Minister of Public Works and Public Housing (PUPR) Basuki Hadimuljono stated some time ago.

For the record, until early December 2020, the realization of the program has reached 777,708 units of the target of 900 thousand housing units.

Director-General of Housing of the Ministry of PUPR Khalawi Abdul Hamid expressed his optimism that by the end of 2020, it can reach 900 thousand units.

Khalawi explained that the prognosis is the result of the calculation of the construction of community houses built by Ministry of PUPR or partners, including housing developers, banks, local governments, related ministries/institutions, and the community.

The achievement figure of 777,708 housing units, he said, came from the construction of houses for low-income people totaling 584,474 units and houses for non-low-income people with 193,234 units.

“In the program, the composition is 70 percent for low-income families housing  and the remaining 30 percent is for non-low-income families,” Khalawi said.

According to Khalawi, the construction of houses built by the Ministry, namely through the construction of self-help houses and the Special Allocation Fund (DAK) for housing amounted to 128,356 units. Meanwhile, the construction of houses carried out by other ministries reached as many as 51,136 units.

The local governments, he added, also participated in the construction of 32,758 houses. “We noted that the housing development carried out by housing developers has reached 365,816 units. We hope that housing developers can be more enthusiastic because habitable houses are really needed by the community,” he said.

Furthermore, Khalawi stated, the Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) of private companies and the community also participated in the development with 3,590 and 2,818 units, respectively.

In addition to absorbing labors, Khalawi said, at least hundreds of industries will proceed to supply the needs of housing construction projects.

“Housing is one of the main sectors in the recovery efforts of the national economy, especially for the utilization of domestically produced materials,” he said. (PR of Ministry of Public Works and Public Housing/UN) (FI/LW) 

Latest News