Gov’t Issues 2020-2024 Masterplan for National Border and Border Region Management
President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo has issued Regulation of the President of the Republic of Indonesia Number 118 of 2022 on the 2020-2024 Masterplan for National Border and Border Region Management.
“The 2020-2024 Masterplan for National Border and Border Region Management hereinafter referred to as 2020-2024 BWN-KP Management Masterplan is a Government policy on cross-sectoral national border management planning that is stipulated for five years,” the Regulation reads.
The aims of the 2020-2024 BWN-KP Management Masterplan are as follows:
- to strengthen and reinforce state sovereignty;
- to optimize the presence of the state in promoting the fulfillment of the fundamental rights of citizens in border regions;
- to strengthen the state’s border regions that serve as the exit-entry point of the Unitary State of the Republic of Indonesia;
- to optimize border management as the front line and link to the international world;
- to realize equal development for the people in border regions;
- to synergize the Central Government, regional governments, and stakeholders in border management; and
- to optimize affirmative development policies that take into account the condition of each border region.
The 2020-2024 BWN-KP Management Masterplan is a national guide and will serve as a reference for ministries/agencies and regional governments to manage national borders and border regions.
This masterplan is used as a reference to compose or adjust strategic plans and the annual work plans of ministries/agencies in managing national borders and border regions as well as to compose or adjust regional medium-term development plans and provincial and regency/city development work plan in managing national borders and border regions in 2020-2024.
In addition, it serves to guide coordination, integration, synchronization, and simplification of plan implementation across ministries/agencies and regional governments in managing national borders and border regions based on time, location, indicator, funding, and implementer.
It also functions to guide the monitoring and evaluation of national border and border region management.
This Presidential Regulation is in effect since its promulgation on September 26, 2022. (UN) (DH/MMB)