Gov’t Issues Presidential Regulation on National Strategy to Abolish Violence Against Children
The Government issued Regulation of the President of the Republic Indonesia Number 101 of 2022 on National Strategy to Abolish Violence against Children (Stranas PKTA) signed by President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo on Friday, July 15, 2022.
“That to protect children from violence and discrimination, it is necessary to boost prevention and handling efforts on violence and discrimination against children,” the Presidential Regulation reads.
According to the regulation, it is also necessary to optimize the Government’s roles, considering the number of violence cases against children in Indonesia remains high.
Current regulations to abolish violence against children are not optimal yet in providing prevention and handling efforts, so that it is necessary to issue a national strategy on this issue.
For the record, National Strategy to Abolish Violence against Children is national strategy consisting of objective, strategy, focus, key intervention, target, role, and responsibility of ministries/agencies, provincial governments, regional/municipal governments, and public to realize the abolishment of violence against children.
The aims of the Stranas PKTA are as follows:
- ensuring provisions of laws and policies, as well as implementation as enforcement to abolish all forms of violence against children;
- resolving socio-cultural factors justifying use of violence, as well as strengthening values and norms supporting protection of all forms of violence against children;
- realizing safe, friendly environment to children, both inside and outside home;
- improving quality of childcare through provisions of knowledge, skill, and parents/caregivers’ attitude on quality childcare without violence;
- increasing access for vulnerable families to economic empowerment in order to prevent violence against children and child neglect;
- ensuring provisons and facilities of integrated service access for children who have risk experiencing violence and victim of violence; and
- ensuring children can protect themselves from violence and can be agent of change.
Based on Article 8 of the regulation, the implementation of the Stranas PKTA sourced from the State Budget, Regional Budget, and other valid funding sources in accordance with the laws and regulations.
The Presidential Regulation Number 101 of 2022 on the Stranas PKTA is effective from July 15, 2022. (SM/UN) (AP/MUR)