Gov’t Issues Regulation on “Gerbangkertosusila” Regional Development
Date 3 Desember 2019
President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo on 20 November 2019 signed Presidential Regulation Number 80 of 2019 on the Acceleration of Economic Development in the Gresik – Bangkalan – Mojokerto – Surabaya – Sidoarjo – Lamongan, Bromo-Tengger-Semeru Regions, and Selingkar Wilis and Lintas Selatan Regions.
The Regulation aims to accelerate economic development in the aforementioned regions as well as to increase regional competitiveness that has an impact on investment growth and improvement of an integrated and sustainable national economy.
According to the Regulation, in a bid to increase investment and regional economic growth, the accelerated development will be implemented in the following regions:
- Gresik – Bangkalan – Mojokerto – Surabaya – Sidoarjo – Lamongan and the surrounding areas including Tuban, Bojonegoro and Jombang, which hereinafter are referred to as Gerbangkartosusila Region;
- Bromo – Tengger – Semeru area, hereinafter referred to as BTS Region; and
- Selingkar Wilis and Lintas Selatan Region.
To support and provide added value in the development of the regions, the Regulation stipulates the development of: a. Selingkar Ijen Area; and b. Madura and Islands Regions.
“The accelerated economic development of the Gerbangkartosusila Region, BTS Region, and Selingkar Wilis and Lintas Selatan Region, as well as the development of Selingkar Ijen and Madura and Islands Regions are implemented in an integrated and sustainable manner, based on the Regional Development Master Plan, hereinafter referred to as the Master Plan,” article 2 paragraph (1) of the regulation reads.
The Regulation also states that in implementing the Master Plan, Coordinating Ministry for Economic Affairs provides assistance on the availability of planning documents, preparation and implementation.
The Master Plan, attached in the appendix which is an integral part of the Presidential Regulation, functions as:
- Guideline for ministers and heads of institutions to make sectoral policies in the context of implementing accelerated development of the Gerbangkartosusila Region, BTS Region, and Selingkar Wilis and Lintas Selatan Region, Selingkar Ijen Region, and Madura and Islands Regions in their respective responsibility, which are set out in the strategic plan document of each ministry/institution as part of the development planning document; and
- Guideline for the preparation of policies for the acceleration of development of Gerbangkartosusila Region, BTS Region, and Selingkar Wilis and Lintas Selatan Region, Selingkar Ijen Region, and Madura and Islands Regions at the provincial and city/municipality levels.
According to the Regulation, funding for the implementation of economic development acceleration in the aforementioned regions may be provided by: a. State Budget; b. Regional Budget; c. Government cooperation with business entities; and/or d. Other legal sources of financing in accordance with law and regulations.
“Coordinating Minister for Economic Affairs conducts controlling, monitoring and evaluation of the implementation of the Presidential Regulation, and reports to the President at least once in 6 (six) months or at any time if necessary,” article 9 of the Presidential Regulation reads.
In the event that amendment is needed to the list of projects in the Master Plan based on the results of the evaluation of regional development, the amendment is determined by Coordinating Minister for Economic Affairs after the President’s approval.
“The Presidential Regulation shall apply as of the date of its promulgation,” article 12 of the Presidential Regulation reads. The Regulation was promulgated by Minister of Law and Human Rights Yasonna H. Laoly on 25 November 2019. (Pusdatin/ES)
Translated by: Ridwan Ibadurrohman
Edited by: Lulu Wuliarti