Gov’t to Re-examine 69 Indonesian Crew Members on Diamond Princess
Date 2 Maret 2020
The Government has announced it is evacuating 67 Indonesian male citizens and 2 Indonesian female citizens aboard Diamond Princess Cruise Ship to Sebaru Kecil Island on a Garuda Indonesia aircraft.
According to Coordinating Minister for Human Development and Culture, President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo has approved Sebaru Kecil Island as a quarantine site for coronavirus evacuees. He also said that the aircraft is expected to arrive at Kertajati International Airport in West Java, on Sunday (1/3) around 23.00 Western Indonesia Time (WIB).
Upon arriving at the airport, the evacuees will leave for Sebaru Kecil Island by using Indonesian warship KRI Dr. Suharso-990 through the construction site of a coal-fired power plant (PLTU) Indramayu, while their trip from the airport to Indramayu will use five buses from Gatot Subroto Army Hospital (RSPAD), which have been sprayed with disinfectant to make it sterile.
“Afterwards, we will wait for the verification of transcription-polymerase chain reaction (PCR) testing if it is positive or negative for the coronavirus. The test is conducted by the disease and infection laboratory center at Ministry of Health,” Muhadjir said in his press statement at Kertajati International Airport, Majalengka, Sunday (1/3).
For the record, the evacuation process for Indonesian citizens aboard Diamond Princess Cruise Ship is carried out in Sebaru Kecil Island, which is part of Thousand Islands Regency in North Jakarta, the same location set as the evacuation of Indonesian World Dream crew members.
Previously, a total of eight Indonesian Diamond Princess Cruise Ship members tested positive for Covid-19 and they are currently treated intensively by Japanese authorities.
Muhadjir also explained that the rest of Indonesian Diamond Princess Cruise Ship members who were returned to Indonesia are in a good health condition with a healthy certificate from the Japanese authorities.
“If they are not in a good health condition, they cannot be evacuated,” he said, adding that the Government will carefully pay attention and retest the evacuees to ensure that they are negative for coronavirus.
On that occasion, Muhadjir also said that the Government has established a joint team that consisting of the Indonesian Military Force (TNI), the National Police, Ministry of Health, Ministry of Transportation, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ministry of Home Affairs, state-owned electricity company PLN, as well as Majalengka and Indramayu Regional Governments.
“I hope this cooperation will run smoothly. On behalf of the Government, I thank all parties involved in the evacuation process,” he said. (PMK / EN Ministry of Public Relations)
Translated by: Syarifah Aisyah
Reviewed by: M. Ersan Pamungkas