Gov’t Transforms Six Islamic State Institutes into Islamic State University
Date 7 Juni 2021
President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo on May 11 issued six Presidential Regulations on the establishment of Islamic State Universities based on the transformation of Islamic State Institutes.
The six Islamic State Institutes (IAIN) that are transformed into Islamic State Universities (UIN) include:
- IAIN Tulungagung, transformed into UIN Sayyid Ali Rahmatullah Tulungagung as mandated by Presidential Regulation Number 40 of 2021 on Sayyid Ali Rahmatullah Islamic State University of Tulungagung;
- IAIN Purwokerto, established as UIN Profesor Kiai Haji Saifuddin Zuhri Purwokerto as mandated by Presidential Regulation Number 41 of 2021 on Profesor Kiai Haji Saifuddin Zuhri Islamic State University of Purwokerto;
- IAIN Surakarta, transformed into UIN Raden Mas Said Surakarta as mandated by Presidential Regulation Number 42 of 2021 on Raden Mas Said Islamic State University of Surakarta;
- IAIN Samarinda, established as UIN Sultan Aji Muhammad Idris Samarinda as mandated by Presidential Regulation Number 43 of 2021 on Sultan Aji Muhammad Idris Islamic State University of Samarinda;
- IAIN Jember, transformed into UIN Kiai Haji Achmad Siddiq as mandated by Presidential Regulation Number 44 of 2021 on Kiai Haji Achmad Siddiq Islamic State University of Jember; and
- IAIN Bengkulu, established as UIN Fatmawati Sukarno as mandated by Presidential Regulation Number 45 of 2021 on Fatmawati Sukarno Islamic State University of Bengkulu.
It is stated in the Presidential Regulations that the transformation was carried out to fulfill the demands of scientific and technological development, as well as integration of Islamic sciences and other sciences, and to create high-quality human resources.
As Islamic State Universities, those six Islamic State Higher Education Institutions can carry out not only Islamic education programs but also other science programs to support Islamic science programs in higher education. This provision is stipulated on Article 2 sections 1 and 2 of the Presidential Regulations.
“Technical guidance on the management of Islamic science higher education program is provided by a minister who oversees government affairs in the field of religion and technical guidance on other science programs is provided by a minister who carries out government affairs in the field of education,” Article 2 section 3 reads.
The Presidential Regulations define UIN as a higher education institution under a ministry that conducts government affairs in the field of religion, under and responsible to a minister who oversees government affairs in the religious field. With the addition of six universities, there are currently 23 UINs across the country as of today.
The six Presidential Regulations have come into force since the date of its promulgation 11 May 2021 and can be accessed on Documentation and Legal Information Network webpage of Cabinet Secretariat. (PR of Ministry of Religious Affairs/UN) (DH/EP)
The official website of Ministry of Religious Affairs can be accessed through this link.