Health Ministry: Only 76 Percent of Hajj Candidates This Year Fully-vaccinated
Ministry of Health has reported that only about 76 percent of hajj candidates that are permitted to go on hajj pilgrimage this year have received a full dose of COVID-19 vaccines.
“As of today, only 76 percent have received a full dose, meaning that only 76 percent of the jama’ah (pilgrimage group) are eligible to go on hajj pilgrimage,” Ministry of Health’s Head of Hajj Health Center Budi Sylvana said during the Opening of Hajj Management Technical Meeting (PPIH) at Hajj Dormitory in Pondok Gede, East Jakarta, Tuesday (05/17).
Budi also pointed out that receiving a full dose of COVID-19 vaccines is one of the requirements determined by the Saudi Arabia Government for hajj pilgrimage. Hence, he added, jama’ah who have not been fully vaccinated may not be permitted to go on hajj pilgrimage.
Budi also appealed to all related parties, especially health workers, to make sure that the jama’ah to be immediately fully-vaccinated.
“It is our task to make sure that the jama’ah can get immediately fully-vaccinated as required,” he said.
Previously, Minister of Religious Affairs Yaqut Cholil Qoumas said that the Government has prepared a management scheme of hajj this year to serve the jama’ah starting from the departure to the arrival in Indonesia.
“Related to hajj management preparation, the Government has prepared to serve the jama’ah starting from the departure to the arrival in Indonesia. We have prepared the scheme from A to Z,” Minister of Religious Affairs said after attending the Limited Cabinet Meeting led by President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo at Bogor Presidential Palace, West Java province, Tuesday (05/17).
Yaqut also explained that one of the schemes prepared by the Government is the health protocols that require hajj candidates to receive COVID-19 vaccine of at least up to the second dose.
“We continue to have all hajj candidates permitted to go to Saudi Arabia to get vaccinated with at least up to the second dose or fully-vaccinated,” Minister of Religious Affairs said.
Yaqut also said that a requirement that must be fulfilled by the hajj candidates concerns the age limit of the hajj candidates, adding that the maximum age of the hajj candidates is 65 years old.
“The Government of Saudi Arabia also has set the age limit of up to 65 years old and the Government is committed to implementing this. Otherwise, their system will reject the hajj candidates aged above 65 years old, so the age limits up to 65 years old is a requirement set by the Government of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia,” the Minister remarked. (PR OFFICE OF MINISTRY OF HEALTH/UN)(AW/EP)