HMI Conveys 10 Commitments to President Jokowi
Date 20 Februari 2017
President Joko Jokowi Widodo on Monday (20/2) at the Merdeka Palace, Jakarta, received the Executive Board of the Islamic Students Association (PB HMI) led by its Chairman Mulyadi P. Tamsir.
During the meeting, PB HMI reported the results of national gathering of HMI branches leaders and the organization of the 70th Dies Natalies of the HMI in Depok last week to the President.
We have conducted the national gathering of HMI branches leaders and the 70th Dies Natalies of the HMI. The gathering brought about 10 commitments of the HMI for the people and nation. Those are the things we reported to the President, Mulyadi said.
The 10 commitments from the 70th Dies Natalies of the HMI are:
- Maintaining the integrity of the Unitary State of the Republic of Indonesia which is based on Pancasila (state ideology) and the 1945 Constitution along with its ethnicity, cultural, and religious diversity;
- Upholding and spreading the teachings of Islam to the fullest based on the Quran and the Hadith and be the forefront in maintaining the honor and dignity of the Ulema (Islamic scholars) as the supreme leader of Muslims;
- Upholding just laws and rejecting laws which discriminate against any Indonesian;
- Guarding the use of Indonesias natural resources and rejecting all forms of exploitation that do not favor the interests of the people;
- Developing human resources which has akhlaqul karimah (morality values) and high competitiveness;
- Developing an economic system that favors all Indonesians;
- Developing national industries, promoting Indonesia to become worlds energy and foods producer as well as rejecting immigrants who can be a threat for Indonesian people to get job opportunities;
- Upholding the value of a just democracy and rejecting liberalization and political dynasties;
- Rejecting communism in Indonesia which may threaten the life of the nation; and
- Combating drug trafficking and drug abuse which may threaten the future of Indonesias young generation.
In the meantime, HMI Chairman Mulyadi P. Tamsir said that President Jokowi welcomed those 10 commitments because PB HMI had affirmed that they would maintain the integrity of the Unitary State of the Republic of Indonesia along with its diversity. The President also gave a positive response to our statement, including the 10 commitments of the PB HMI for the people and nation, Mulyadi added.
Also on that occasion, President Jokowi conveyed his wishes for HMI to take part and play an important role in national development. HMI is expected to take part to develop the nation. We will be focus on developing human resources to have high quality and competitiveness. Those are what the President expects from HMI, Mulyadi concluded.
Accompanying President Jokowi during the meeting was Minister of State Secretary Pratikno. (UN/ES) (RA/EP/YM/Naster)