President Joko Widodo Sends Strong Message of Islamic Countries Leaders over Palestine Conflict
Date 7 Maret 2016
The 5th Extraordinary OIC Summit on Palestine and Al-Quds Al-Sharif that took place for two days, from 6 to 7 March 2016, at Jakarta Convention Center, has ended. The Summit exhibited the spirit of unity and solidariy of Islamic world to generate peaceful solutions over Palestine issues.
During these two days, I really feel full support and solidarity of the Islamic world over Palestine. I am pleased the leaders of Islamic countries agreed to walk hand in hand and strengthen their unity to support Palestinian people, President Joko Widodo, as the host of the Summit, said in his closing remarks.
The President stated that the Summit has successfully passed two very important documents.
The first is a Resolution that reaffirms the position, principles, and commitment of the OIC over the issues of Palestine and Al-Quds Al-Sharif. Hopefully, this resolution is in line with the hope of Palestinian poeple. The second is Jakarta Declaration, initiated by Indonesia, that contains concrete action plans of the leaders of OIC to resolve the issues of Palestine and Al-Quds Al-Sharif, the President said.
As stated by the President, through this Summit, the leaders of Islamic countries have sent a strong message to all parties involved in Palestines conflict.
It is urgent, for the OIC, to enhance its support to Palestine through a number of concrete steps, the President firmly said.
They are, as follows:
- To strengthen political support in order to revive peace process; to establish new international collective process and involve Islamic countries in manifesting two-state solution. Indonesia is ready to be part of this process.
- To give more pressure on Israel, including to boycott Israeli goods that are produced in occupation territory.
- To give more pressure on the United Nations Security Council so that it gives international protection to Palestine and set up a time limit to terminate Israels occupation.
- To firmly reject restrictions on worship at Al-Aqsa Mosque and the action of Israel to change the status-quo and demography of Al-Quds Al-Sharif.
- To meet urgent humanitarian needs.
Concluding his remarks, President Joko Widodo expressed his utmost gratitude and appreciation for the presence and contribution of OIC member countries in this Summit. The President also reminded that Islamic world still owes the Palestinian people their independence.
Their struggle is our struggle as well. Insya Allah, we can witness the independence of Palestine, the President concluded. (UN/FID/DND) (MMB/YM/Naster)