President Jokowi Expresses Concern over Jamal Khashoggis Death
President Joko Jokowi Widodo expressed concern over the murder of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi at the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul, Turkey, on 2 October 2018.
President Jokowi made the statement when received Saudi Foreign Minister Adel bin Ahmed Al-Jubeir in a courtesy call, at Bogor Presidential Palace, West Java, Monday (20/10).
The President expressed his concern over the case and Indonesia called for a transparent and thorough investigation of the death of Jamal Khashoggi, Foreign Minister Retno Marsudi said after accompanying President Jokowi in that meeting.
Previously on Sunday (21/10), Foreign Minister Adel bin Ahmed Al-Jubeir told Fox News that Jamal Khashoggi was killed in rogue operation.
However, he denied allegation that Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman or intelligence agency knows about the operation.
According to Jubeir, the Government of Saudi Arabia is determined to punish those who are responsible for this murder and ensure that something like this can never happen again.
Retno said that Adel bin Ahmed Al-Jubeir paid a visit to President Jokowi prior to first joint ministerial commission meeting between Saudi Arabia and Indonesia to be held in Jakarta on Tuesday (23/10).
Both this meeting and the bilateral meeting to be held tomorrow have been scheduled a long time ago considered those are implementations of King Salmans visit to Indonesia last year, Retno added.
Accompanying President Jokowi in that meeting were Minister of Foreign Affairs Retno Marsudi, Coordinating Minister for the Economy Darmin Nasution, and Cabinet Secretary Pramono Anung. (MAY/SLN/RAH/OJI/ES)(RAS/YM/Naster)