President Jokowi Invites Cabinet Members to Forgo Open House Hosting on This Year’s Eid

By Office of Assistant to Deputy Cabinet Secretary for State Documents & Translation
Date 23 Mei 2020
Category: News
Read: 106 Views

President Jokowi held an Open House at the Presidential Palace, last year. (Photo by: Public Relations Documentation)

In a bid to curb COVID-19 spread, President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo along with the First Lady Ibu Iriana Jokowi will not hold an open house on Eid al-Fitr 1441H.

“President Jokowi and his family will not hold an open house during this year’s Eid. This is an effort to prevent the spread of COVID-19,'” Deputy for Protocol, Press, and Media Affairs of the Presidential Secretariat Bey Machmudin stated in Jakarta, Friday (22/5).

Furthermore, Bey said, the President also asked all ministers and members of the Indonesia Onward Cabinet to also refrain from hosting an open house.

“Surely, it is expected that all cabinet members will obey it, the Vice President will also not hold an open house,” Bey said.

However, Bey said, President Jokowi continued to encourage virtual silaturrahim (amicable gathering) during this Eid. “The tradition of silaturrahim with family and relatives should still be maintained. Even though we cannot meet in person, it can be done virtually,” he added.

For the record, the President usually holds an open house during Eid al-Fitr. Last year’s Eid, he held an open house at the State Palace, Jakarta.

This year’s Eid al-Fitr will be celebrated on Sunday, 24 May 2020 as referred to the results of isbat (confirmation) meeting stipulated by Minister of Religious Affairs Fachrul Razi. (BPMI/EN)

 

 

Translated by: Fairuzzamani Inayatillah
Reviewed by: Mia M. Bonaedy

Latest News