President Jokowi Issues Decree on Indonesia ASEAN Chairmanship’s National Committee
As part of Indonesia’s thorough preparation for ASEAN 2023 Chairmanship, President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo has established a national committee through Presidential Decree Number 5 of 2023 on National Committee for Indonesia Chairmanship at the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN).
The National Committee has the following duties:
First, to plan, prepare, coordinate, and organize. a series of events, be it in material, technical, or logistic aspects to support President Jokowi as ASEAN Chair in executing the duties and responsibilities.
Second, to draw up and stipulate a working plan and budget to prepare and organize a series of events during Indonesia’s ASEAN 2023 Chairmanship.
Third, to prepare and organize the 42nd and 43rd ASEAN Summit and other meetings in the best possible way so the events can be organized safely, smoothly, and orderly.
Fourth, to have partnership with other countries, international and regional organizations, and other agencies/institutions to support the ASEAN Summits and other related summits.
Fifth, to monitor, evaluate, and report the implementation of Indonesia’s ASEAN 2023 Chairmanship.
“Events to be held in the Indonesia’s ASEAN 2023 Chairmanship consist of summits, ministerial and central bank governor meetings, senior official meetings, working group meetings, side events, and other activities and meetings,” the decree reads.
The National Committee is led by the President and Vice President as directors whose duties are to provide guidelines, suggestions, and considerations in connection with Indonesia’s ASEAN 2023 Chairmanship to the National Committee.
In carrying out the duties, the directors will be assisted by the person in charge in each sector as well as the assistance and partnership team. There are eight persons in charge, including:
- Coordinating Minister for Political, Legal and Security Affairs as the person in charge for ASEAN Political- Security Community (APSC).
- Coordinating Minister for Economic Affairs as the person in charge for ASEAN Economic Community (AEC).
- Coordinating Minister for Human Development and Cultural Affairs as the person in charge for ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community (ASCC).
- Minister of Foreign Affairs as the person in charge for general affairs/ASEAN National Secretariat.
- Minister of Communication and Informatics as the person in charge for Communication, Media, and Public Relations.
- Minister of State Secretary as the person in charge for the Organization of the Summit and Logistics.
- Minister of State-owned Enterprises as the person in charge for side events.
- Commander of the Indonesian National Defense Forces (TNI) as the person in charge for security affairs.
Each person in charge has their members. In this regard, Cabinet Secretary and Deputy Cabinet Secretary for Cabinet Work Support are under the sector overseeing summit and logistics.
In addition, Wishnutama Kusubandio and Vice Minister of State-owned Enterprises are members of assistance and partnership team.
The National Committee will also cooperate and/or coordinate with related ministries/institution, regional governments, private sectors, and other related parties.
“The working period of the national committee starts as of the date of the enactment of this presidential decree until December 31, 2023,” Presidential Decree Number 5 of 2023 that was stipulated by President Joko Widodo in Jakarta on March 31, 2023 reads. (UN) (RAS/EP)