President Jokowi Requests Extra Hajj Pilgrim Quota to Saudi Arabian Gov’t

By Office of Assistant to Deputy Cabinet Secretary for State Documents & Translation
Date 11 September 2016
Category: News
Read: 4.998 Views
President Jokowi in a working visit to Banten on Sunday (11/9)

President Jokowi in a working visit to Banten on Sunday (11/9)

In order to reduce the waiting period of hajj pilgrim for Indonesian Muslims, the Indonesian Government requested extra hajj pilgrims quota to the Government of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia as well as proposed to utilize the unused quota of our neighbouring countries, President Joko ‘Jokowi’ Widodo stated after inspecting a fish auction place, located in Karangantu Fish Market, Kasemen, Serang, Banten, on Sunday (11/9).

President Jokowi admitted that he, in the G20 Summit in Hangzhou, China, last week, has conveyed the wish to request for extra hajj pilgrims quota to the Saudi Arabia’s Deputy Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

“The Prince has agreed. I have told the Prince to add the quota and let us use the unused quota of the Philippines, Japan, and Singapore. We will take all of the unused quota. Prince Mohammed bin Salman  has agreed and said that he will calculate it first,” President Jokowi said.

Therefore, when receiving the President of the Philippines Rodrigo Duterte, President Jokowi said that Duerte gave his permission.

However, President Jokowi added that the Government will improve the procedures. “Do not let fake passport case happened again. That made the situation complicated,” the President stated.

Regarding 700-800 Indonesian citizens using fake Philippine passports who already arrived in Saudi Arabia, President Jokowi wishes the Goverment of Indonesia and the Philippines can solve the problem properly. Perhaps the Government of Saudi Arabia will issue a “Transportion Letter” in lieu of a passport.

“If possible, they will be repatriated to Indonesia, or they will be returned to the Philippines first, then the Philippine Government will help to assist their repatriation. President Rodrigo Duterte considered the pilgrims are the victims of a syndicate,” President Jokowi said.

On that occasion, President Jokowi believes that the number of hajj pilgrims quota will increase, but for now, he cannot tell the calculation.

“Perhaps, it will be finalized in Saudi Arabia. Hopefully, the number of extra hajj pilgrims quota and the unused quota of the Philippines, Japan, and Singapore for Indonesia will be revealed in the visit of the King of Saudi Arabia Salman bin Abdulaziz to Indonesia next October. These were what I talked about and requested,” President Jokowi concluded. (RAH/ES) (RAS/MMB/YM/Naster)

Latest News