President Jokowi Sends Condolences to Flood Victims in PapuaDiposkan pada: 17 Mar 2019 ; 770 Views Kategori: News
President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo has sent his deepest condolences to the victims of flash floods that hit Sentani, eastern Papua Province on Saturday (16/3).
“My deepest condolences to the victims and families affected by the disaster,” President Jokowi said after attending the Traffic Safety Declaration and Dissemination at the Jakarta International Container Terminal (JICT) in Tanjung Priok, Jakarta, Sunday (17/3).
The President added that he has instructed Head of the National Disaster Management Agency (BNPB) Doni Monardo to visit the affected areas and to lead the evacuation process. “The most important thing is to evacuate the people immediately,” he said.
President Jokowi has also ordered a thorough report on the disaster as a precautionary measure to prevent similar incidents in Sentani as well as in other regions in the country
Previously, Head of Data Information and Public Relations Center of the BNPB in a press release on Sunday (17/3) wrote that the Search and Rescue team (SAR) still continues to carry out evacuations of the flood victims. As of Sunday afternoon, at least 50 people were reported to have been killed in the flash floods and 273 families had been left homeless as their houses were destroyed by the floods. (BPMI Setpres/ES)
Translated by: Syarifah Aisyah
Edited by: Estu Widyamurti/M. Ersan Pamungkas