President Jokowi’s Order to Partially Lockdown Cities is Hoax

By Office of Assistant to Deputy Cabinet Secretary for State Documents & Translation
Date 17 Maret 2020
Category: News
Read: 235 Views

The Palace denied rumors saying President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo to put several regions in Indonesia under partial lockdown in order to curb the spread of Coronavirus (Covid-19).

Press, Media, and Information Bureau of the Presidential Secretariat confirmed that the hoax which used the President’s name was not based on President Jokowi’s statement or the Palace’s.

For the record, the hoax mentioned that President Jokowi will impose partial lockdown to cities of Jakarta Bekasi, Depok, Bogor, Bandung, Surabaya, Banten, Tangerang, Semarang, and the island of Bali.

During a press conference on Monday (16/3) at the Bogor Presidential Palace, President Jokowi had delivered several directives which were contrary to the narration mentioned in the hoax that was circulated through instant messaging and social media.

He, on the occasion, said that decision to impose a lockdown be it at national or regional levels is made by the Central Government and so far it has not been decided to impose the policy in the near future.

“The policy (lockdown) is not the authority of regional governments and we currently have no intention to impose it,” the President firmly said.

Preventive measures that can be done now is social distancing by reducing mobility, maintaining distance, and avoiding public space and mass gathering that can contribute to the spread of Covid-19.

“Study from home, work from home, and worship at home must be promoted to the public to reduce the rapid spread of Covid-19; yet services to the public including providing basic necessities, health care services, and other public services must continue to be maintained,” he concluded. (BPMI/EN)

 

 

Translated by : Rany Anjany S
Reviewed by: Mia Medyana B

Latest News