Single Cigarette Stick Sale Ban Aims to Protect People’s Health: President Jokowi
The Government has announced plan to ban the sale of single cigarette sticks.
“It is to protect the health of our people,” President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo has said after inaugurating the Sadawarna Dam in Subang regency, West Java province, Tuesday (12/27).
According to him, several countries have already banned the sale of cigarette sticks.
For the record, the Government has issued Presidential Decree Number 25 of 2022 on the 2023 Government Regulation Formulation Program, which was stipulated on December 23, 2022 by President Joko Widodo.
The regulation includes Bill of Government Regulation on Amendments to Government Regulation Number 109 of 2012 on Safeguarding Substances Containing Addictive Substances in the form of Tobacco Products for Health initiated by Ministry of Health based on Article 116 Law Number 36 of 2009 on Health.
In addition to the prohibition on the sale of stick cigarettes, regulatory changes also regulate, among others:
- Increasing the percentage area of health warning images and text on tobacco product packaging;
- Provisions on electronic cigarette;
- Prohibition of advertising, promotion and sponsorship of tobacco products in information technology media;
- Prohibition of sale of single cigarette;
- Supervision of advertising, promotion, sponsorship of tobacco products in broadcast media, indoor and outdoor media, and information technology media;
- Enforcement and prosecution; and
- Information technology media and implementation of Non-Smoking Areas (KTR). (FID/ST) (EST/EP)