14 ‘Mail-Order Brides’ Victims Return to Indonesia

By Office of Assistant to Deputy Cabinet Secretary for State Documents & Translation
Date 4 September 2019
Category: News
Read: 132 Views

Director General of Protocol and Consular Affairs of Ministry of Foreign Affairs Andri Hadi welcomes 14 ‘mail order brides’ Indonesian citizens in Jakarta, Monday (2/9). (Photo: Ministry of Foreign Affairs)

As many as 14 Indonesian citizens who became victims of ‘mail-order brides’ crime in China have arrived in Jakarta, Monday (2/9).

Those victims are coming from various provinces in Indonesia, including Jakarta, West Java, and West Kalimantan. Their repatriation process was assisted by the Indonesian Embassy in Beijing.

The ‘mail-order brides’ case is widely known through a matchmaking agency; however the agency defrauded the victims.

Previously, Minister of Foreign Affairs Retno L.P. Marsudi raised this issue in a bilateral meeting with Chinese Minister of Foreign Affairs Wang Yi, in Bangkok, Thailand, on 30 July 2019.

During the meeting, Retno requested the Chinese Government’s help to solve the case and prevent it from happening again in the future.

As the victims have returned safely, Indonesian Ministry of Foreign Affairs expressed appreciation to the Chinese Government for responding to the request.

“This repatriation process is a manifestation of the presence of the state in the protection of its citizens as well as a form of close cooperation among various parties,” said Andri.

He then asked all Indonesian citizens to be more careful in conducting marriages with foreign citizens. “Find out the background info of the (spouse) candidate, do not be tempted by the promise of economic support, and always follow procedures properly,” he said. (Indonesian Ministry of Foreign Affairs / ES)

Translated by: Estu Widyamurti
Edited by: Mia Medyana

Latest News