Gov’t Announces 16 National Holidays, 4 Collective Holidays in 2020
A Ministerial Meeting on National and Public Holidays 2020 led by Coordinating Minister for Human Development and Culture (PMK) Puan Maharani held at the office of Coordinating Ministry for Human Development and Culture in Jakarta, Tuesday (28/8, has agreed to determine 16 days of National Holidays and 4 days of Collective Holidays in 2020.
The meeting, which was also attended by Minister of State Apparatus Empowerment and Bureaucratic Reform Syafruddin, Minister of Religious Affairs Lukman Hakim Saifuddin, and Minister of Manpower Hanif Dhakiri, approved Minister Puan Maharani’s proposal on national and collective holidays.
However, Minister of Religious Affairs suggested that in the future, the national holiday of Nyepi (Hindu Day of Silence) should be called ‘Holy Nyepi Day’.
Puan also asked the ministers to pay attention to the provisions of collective holiday in particular during Eid-al-Fitr mudik (exodus) season.
“Next year, our infrastructure insya Allah, will better than this year’s. We hope there will be no significant obstacles during the season to provide a sense of security (for the travellers). Likewise, traffic during mudik and returning flow is expected to be smooth,” Puan said.
During the meeting, the Ministers also signed a Joint Ministerial Decree (SKB) on National and Collective Holidays 2020 that was drawn up by considering efficiency and effectiveness of working days and to give guidelines to government and private institutions.
It also takes into consideration the following regulations, namely Government Regulation Number 24 of 1976 on Civil Servant Leave; Government Regulation Number 11 of 2017 on Civil Servant Management; Presidential Decree Number 3 of 1983 on Amendment to Presidential Decree Number 251 of 1976 on National Holidays as has been amended several times and latest with Presidential Decree Number 10 of 1971; and Presidential Regulation Number 7 of 2015 on State Ministries Organization.
For the record, National Holidays in 2020 are as follows:
- 1 January, New Year’s Day
- 25 January, Chinese New Year 2571
- 22 March, Ascension of the Prophet Muhammad
4. 25 March, Holy Nyepi Day, Saka New year 1942
5. 10 April, Good Friday
- 1 May, International Workers’ Day
- 7 May, Vesak Day 2564
8. 21 May, Ascension Day of Jesus Christ
9. 24-25 May, Eid-al-Fitr 1441 Hijri
10. 1 June, the Birth of Pancasila Day
11. 31 July, Eid-al-Adha 1441 Hijri
12. 17 August, Indonesian Independence Day
13. 20 August, Islamic New Year 1442 Hijri
14. 29 October, Birth of the Prophet Muhammad
- 25 December, Christmas Day
In the meantime, the Collective Holidays in 2020 are as follows:
• 22, 26 and 27 May (Friday, Tuesday, and Wednesday), collective holiday for Eid-al-Fitr.
• 24 December (Thursday), collective holiday for Christmas Day.
(Humas Kemenko PMK/ES)