Gov’t Condemns C. Sulawesi Attacks
Date 29 November 2020
The Government has strongly condemned an attack that claimed four people in the Central Sulawesi town of Sigi.
The Government has also ordered for the hunting down of the perpetrators of the attack.
“The Government will take a firm action and hunt down the perpetrators that killed four people in Sigi, Central Sulawesi through the Tinombala Operations Team. The Government also expressed condolences to the victims and families for the incident,” Coordinating Minister for Political, Legal, and Security Affairs Mahfud MD said on Sunday (29/11).
Following the attack, the Minister continued, President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo has ordered his administration to take measures, hunt down the perpetrators, and surround places suspected of having links to the perpetrators.
“The Tinombala Team has previously taken measures to pursue the perpetrators and carry out isolation and siege on places suspected of having links to the perpetrators,” he said, adding that the perpetrators of the attack are the remnants of Santoso group or commonly known as the East Indonesian Mujahidin (MIT).
“The East Indonesian Mujahidin group is the remnants of Santoso group, which currently has a few more people left and the Tinombala Task Force is pursuing them now,” he added.
The Government, Mahfud added, expressed hope that religious leaders, especially in Central Sulawesi province will continue to maintain good relations so the community will not be provoked by ethnicity, religion, race, and societal group (SARA) issues.
The Coordinating Minister also emphasized that any religion is actually present to build peace in the country.
“We hope all leaders of religious communities in Central Sulawesi province continue to maintain brotherhood and are not provoked by SARA issues. We will continue to update the developing stories to the public,” he said. (Coordinating Ministry for Political, Legal, and Security Affairs PR/UN) (MUR/EP)