Gov’t Stays Vigilant of Rising COVID-19 Cases Ahead of Christmas, NY Holidays

By Office of Assistant to Deputy Cabinet Secretary for State Documents & Translation     Date 18 Oktober 2021
Category: News
Read: 77 Views

Coordinating Minister for Economic Affairs Airlangga Hartarto (Photo: Rahmat/PR)

Although the pandemic situation in Indonesia is currently improving, the Government said it continues to stay vigilant of the potential rise in COVID-19 cases, especially during the Christmas and New Year holidays.

The statement was made by Coordinating Minister for Economic Affairs Airlangga Hartarto.

Previously, President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo in a limited meeting on evaluation of the implementation of public activity restrictions (PPKM) on Monday (18/10) reminded his Cabinet to prepare all mitigation measures to brace for a third wave after the holidays.

“The President also emphasized that it is necessary to prepare health protocols procedures and other protocols related to Christmas and New Year’s activities. The Government will continue to discuss this issue,” Airlangga said in a statement after attending the meeting.

Apart from Christmas and New Year holidays, the Government, is also aware of potential rising of positive cases after organizing large events, one of which is the World Superbike to be held in Mandalika, West Nusa Tenggara province, in November. The Government continues to boost vaccination rate for the public around the event’s venues.

“Both in Central Lombok and Mataram city, the number of people who have been vaccinated with the first dose has reached 70 percent. The event is ready to accommodate 25,000 spectators, in which two-third are from the area around Mandalika and one-third from other areas with the requirement of having been received two doses of vaccine upon purchasing tickets,” said Airlangga, adding that another national-scale event is the Selection of Tilawatil Qur’an and Hadith (STQH) to be held in Sofifi, North Maluku from 16 to 25 October.

Monitoring and supervision is carrying out by Ministry of Home Affairs and the COVID-19 Handling Task Force, he added.

Airlangga underscored that the implementation of the health protocols during the event are similar with the 20th Papua National Sports Week (PON) by using the PeduliLindungi application.

“We will continue to stay vigilant by implementing the same health protocol as those who return from the PON. After the event, a PCR test will be carried out on H-1 before returning to their respective areas. Considering there are 1,700 students who are participating in the STQH event, a quarantine will be carried out in their respective areas for five days,” he explained.

According to Airlangga, for the implementation of the Papua PON which was officially closed on 15 October, it was recorded that on 17 October the total number of confirmed cases was 176 cases (consisting of 97 athletes, 49 officials, 7 coaches, 10 referees, 9 media, 2 organizing committee, 1 jury and 1 security).

The positivity rate was 1.7 percent of the total PON participants which reached 10,066 people, with a positivity rate of 1.13 percent of the total tested, he added.

“With the current quarantine regulations, more than sixty percent have been released from quarantine sites (more than five days of quarantine period). The rest are being monitored in the last few days,” said Airlangga.

Meanwhile, health protocol procedures for travelers returning from the PON Papua upon arrival in the area of ​​origin or the destination has been regulated by the Second Addendum to Circular Letter of the Head of the COVID-19 Handling Task Force Number 17 of 2021 on Provisions for Travel for Domestic People During the COVID-19 pandemic. (TGH/UN) (EST/EP)

Latest News