Home Minister Urges Public to Use Voting Rights

By Office of Assistant to Deputy Cabinet Secretary for State Documents & Translation
Date 26 Maret 2019
Category: News
Read: 687 Views
Minister of Home Affairs Tjahjo Kumolo answers reporters’ questions after attending an oath-taking ceremony of Deputy Chairman of the Constitutional Court (MK) for 2019-2021 period at MK Building, Jakarta, Tuesday (26/3). (Photo: PR Division of Ministry of Home Affairs)

Minister of Home Affairs Tjahjo Kumolo answers reporters’ questions after attending an oath-taking ceremony of Deputy Chairman of the Constitutional Court (MK) for 2019-2021 period at MK Building, Jakarta, Tuesday (26/3). (Photo: PR Division of Ministry of Home Affairs)

Minister of Home Affairs Tjahjo Kumolo encouraged the public to actively use their voting rights on the upcoming general election on April this year.

“The Government has urged people in all regions to support the 2019 election by using their rights to vote and we quite optimistic we can meet the target (of voters),” Tjahjo said after attending an oath-taking ceremony of Deputy Chairman of the Constitutional Court (MK) for 2019-2021 period at MK Building, Jakarta, Tuesday (26/3).

The Minister emphasized that the amount of voters can determine the quality of Indonesia’s democracy in the future. He is also optimistic that the number of abstain can be lowered this year.

On that occasion, Tjahjo reminded the public to report their residence status by showing the Electronic Identity Cards (e-ID) to the Department of Population and Civil Registration in their respective regions to ensure their voting rights.

“For those who have multiple e-IDs, I strongly advise them to report it immediately,” he added.

He went on explaining that voters who were not registered in the Permanent Voters List (DPT) still can use their voting rights on the election by showing their e-ID at the voting booth.

“The House of Representatives (DPR), the Government, the General Election Committee (KPU) and the Election Supervisory Agency (Bawaslu) have agreed that those who own an e-ID but had not been registered in the DPT can cast a vote,” Tjahjo said.

Meanwhile regarding the e-ID, Home Ministry through the Directorate of Occupation and Civil Registration continues to conduct e-ID registration services for the public even in weekends. Until today, 98 percent residents throughout the country have recorded their data for the e-ID.

“The progress of E-ID distribution has reached 98 percent, while the other 2 percent are reported already have a residency letter but have not get the card,” Tjahjo concluded. (PR Division of Ministry of Home Affairs / ES)

Translated by: Estu Widyamurti
Edited by: Mia Medyana

Latest News