Indonesia to Hold G20 Presidency in 2022
Date 14 September 2021
Indonesia has been appointed as the 2022 G20 Presidency at the 15th G20 Summit in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, on 22 November last year.
The handover from the current G20 Presidency of Italy to Indonesia will be carried out at the G20 Summit which will be held in Rome, Italy.
“The handover of the G20 Presidency from Italy to Indonesia will be held at the G20 Summit in Rome, Italy, on 30-31 October 2021,” said Minister of Communication and Informatics Johnny G. Plate in a Joint Press Statement regarding the G20 Presidency of Indonesia in 2022, Tuesday (14/9).
Every year the G20 member countries take turns to host a series of activities for the organization’s meetings. After Italy, Indonesia will hold the 2022 G20 Presidency for one year.
“This is the first time Indonesia was elected as the G20 Presidency since the G20 was formed in 1999,” said Johnny.
The G20 Presidency of Indonesia includes the preparation and holding a series of meetings, which consist of Summits, Ministerial and Central Bank Governor-level meetings, Sherpa-level meetings, Deputy-level meetings, Working Group-level meetings, Engagement Group-level meetings, Side Events program, and Road to G20 Indonesia 2022 program.
In preparation to organize the G20 Presidency in 2022, President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo on 27 May issued Presidential Decree of the Republic of Indonesia (Keppres) Number 12 of 2021 on National Committee for the Indonesian G20 Presidency.
The National Committee has the duties to:
- formulate and stipulate a master plan for the implementation of the Indonesian G20 Presidency, including the determination of themes, priority agendas, and a series of activities for the Indonesian G20 Presidency;
- formulate and stipulate a work plan and budget for the implementation of the Indonesian G20 Presidency;
- hold preparations and meetings of High-Level Conferences, Ministerial and Central Bank Governor-level meetings, Sherpa-level meetings, Deputy-level meetings, Working Group-level meetings, and Engagement Group-level meetings in partnership with the G20 Troika, G20 member countries, and international organizations;
- conduct preparation and implementation of Side Events program;
- conduct preparation and implementation of the Road to G20 Indonesia 2022 program; and
- monitor the implementation of the Indonesian G20 Presidency.
Based on the provisions of this regulation, the National Committee consists of the Steering Committee, the Chairperson, the Person in Charge of the Division, the Daily Coordinator, and the Secretariat.
The National Steering Committee consists of the President and Vice President of the Republic of Indonesia, Coordinating Minister for Maritime Affairs and Investment, and Coordinating Minister for Human Development and Culture.
Then, Chairs of the Sherpa Track Division are Coordinating Minister for Economic Affairs (Chair I) and Minister of Foreign Affairs (Chair II); Heads of the Finance Track Division are Minister of Finance (Chair I) and Governor of Bank Indonesia (Chair II); and Head of Support Event Organizer is Coordinating Minister for Political, Legal, and Security Affairs.
Furthermore, the Person in Charge of Logistics and Infrastructure is chaired by Minister of State Secretary and the Cabinet Secretary becomes one of its members. Then the Person in Charge of Communication and Media is chaired by Minister of Communication and Informatics; Person in Charge of Side Events is chaired by Minister of Trade; while the Person in Charge of Security is chaired by Commander of the Indonesian National Defense Forces. (UN) (EST/MMB)