Minister: PPKM in Java-Bali Implemented for Two Weeks with Weekly Evaluation
Date 20 September 2021
The Government has announced that it will extend public activity restrictions (PPKM) in the islands of Java and Bali for two more weeks given continued improvement in COVID-19 handling.
“President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo on today’s limited meeting has ordered to implement PPKM in the islands of Java and Bali for two more weeks considering the latest development (of COVID-19). Nevertheless, evaluation on the implementation will be made on a weekly basis to anticipate any rapid changes,” Coordinating Minister for Maritime Affairs and Investment Luhut Binsar Pandjaitan said in a press statement on the latest development of public activity restrictions (PPKM), Monday (20/9).
Luhut went on to say that the continued improvement in COVID-19 handling in Indonesia is reflected by Rt (virus’s actual transmission rate at a given time) rate of 0.98. A team consisting of epidemiologists from the University of Indonesia (UI) revealed that this is the first time in the pandemic that Indonesia’s Rt rate is below 1.
“The rate indicates that on average, every COVID-19 case will infect another 0.9 people. In other words, the number of cases will continue to decline. The rate also shows that COVID-19 pandemic in Indonesia is under control,” he said.
In addition, the number of COVID-19 cases continues to decline. Data on 20 September 2021 showed that the number of daily new cases was at 1,932, with death at 166. The data also showed that 6,799 people have recovered from the virus, while the testing reached 150,000 cases.
“The daily cases have shown a positive trend with daily confirmed cases below 2,000 people and total active cases around 57,000, less than 60,000 cases. The number of daily cases also declined by 98 percent compared to that in its peak on 15 July,” he added.
With such improving situation, he said, there is no regency/municipality implementing PPKM Level 4 in the islands of Java and Bali.
Furthermore, the Government will relax public activity restrictions and adjust it to the latest situation while still adhering to strict health protocols and using PeduliLindungi app.
Several adjustments that will be made to public activity in regions within the islands of Java and Bali, are as follows:
- Conducting trial of allowing children under the age of 12 to enter malls or shopping centers with parental supervision and assistance. The provisions will be implemented at malls/ shopping centers located in Jakarta, Bandung, Semarang, Yogyakarta, and Surabaya.
- Reopening movie theaters in regencies/municipalities implementing PPKM Level 3 and Level 2 by following a 50 percent capacity limit, adhering to the health protocols, and using PeduliLindungi app to screen the visitor. Only visitors with yellow (received the first dose of vaccine)and green (fully vaccinated) status are allowed to enter the theaters.
- Holding Liga 2 football competition in regencies/municipalities implementing PPKM Level 3 and Level 2 by following eight matches per week regulation.
- Allowing restaurants located at sports facilities to operate with a 50 percent capacity limit.
- Allowing offices of non-essential sectors in regencies/municipalities implementing PPKM Level 3 to operate at a 25 percent capacity for employees who have fully vaccinated by using PeduliLindungi app.
The Coordinating Minister reminded the public to always adhere to the health protocols and not to let their guards down because of the improving situation.
“What we have achieved today must not be celebrated. If we let our guards down, it will lead to an increase in COVID-19 cases that will eventually force the Government to impose another restriction,” he firmly said. (DND/UN)(RAS/MUR)