President Jokowi Offers Assistance for Small Vendors Affected by 22 May Riot
Date 24 Mei 2019
Abdul Rajab and Ismail, two stall owners whose kiosks were looted by rioters last week were invited to meet President Joko Jokowi Widodo at Merdeka Palace, Jakarta, Friday (5/25).
Abdul Rajab (62), who owns a kiosk in Agus Salim street in Central Jakarta, told journalists that he had lost around Rp30 million due to the incident.
“When the crowd was driven away by the police, they ran away while looting goods and breaking up kiosks owned by street vendors,” Rajab said.
He admitted he was surprised to be invited meet the President and to receive assistance, adding that he will immediately re-open his business once he receives the assistance.
“Thank you, Mr. President he added.
Meanwhile, the 68-year old Ismail admitted that he has his goods looted and money lost due to the riots, with the total loss reaching Rp20 million.
“Thank you for the assistance, Mr. President,” Ismail said, while hoping similar incidents wont happen again in the future.
For the record, the two-day post-election riots in Jakarta did ot only claim eight lives and injured over 700 others but also took a toll on the livelihood of small vendors. (BPMI Setpres/ES)
Translated by: Estu Widyamurti
Edited by: M. Ersan Pamungkas