President Jokowi Unveils New Deputy Ministers Line Up
Date 25 Oktober 2019
President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo accompanied by Vice President KH. Ma’ruf Amin, on Friday (25/10) at the Merdeka Palace, Jakarta, introduced the names of 12 new deputy ministers of the Indonesian Onward Cabinet.
“They will provide supports to the duties of the Ministers. In my opinion, their profile is very good in order to strengthen the Indonesian Onward Cabinet,” said the President.
The 12 new Deputy Ministers of the Indonesian Onward Cabinet are as follows:
- Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs: Mahendra Siregar.
“He will deal with economic diplomacy, particularly with regard to trade and investment agreements,” the President said. According to the President, we have completed Indonesia-Australia Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement (CEPA). While the President has not yet given a target to Deputy Foreign Affairs Minister so it can also be resolved immediately. “There are fourteen or fifteen countries for which we need trade agreements, particularly with the European Union,” said the President.
- Deputy Minister of Defense: Sakti Wahyu Trenggono, a professional, experienced in exporting. He is also former General Treasurer of the Jokowi-Ma’ruf National Campaign Team.
“I give a special task, to develop our strategic defense industries, which later will also provide support to Minister of Defense, Pak Prabowo Subianto,” the President said.
- Deputy Minister of Religious Affairs: Zainut Tauhid Sa’ad. He is the United Development Party (PPP) politician.
“He has long been Deputy Chairperson of the Central Indonesian Ulema Council (MUI) and I said to give support to help Minister of Religious Affairs,” said the President.
- Deputy Minister of Finance: Suahasil Nazara.
“He has worked in the Ministry of Finance for a long time so budget absorption will be optimized,” said the President.
- Deputy Minister of Trade: Jerry Sambuaga. He is a Golkar politici
“Later, we will provide support and assistance to Minister of Trade so trade agreements with other countries can be completed as well as to increase our exports to non-traditional countries,” explained the President.
- Deputy Minister of Public Works and Public Housing: John Wempi Wetipo, who is a native of Papua.
“He has been the Regent in Jayawijaya for two periods. He will oversee infrastructure projects which are numerous in Indonesia, particularly in Eastern Indonesia,” said the President.
- Deputy Minister of the Environment and Forestry: Aloe Dohong.
“He serves as Deputy for Construction, Operations and Maintenance of the Peat Restoration Agency. So he will assist Ibu Siti Nurbaya in preserving our forests and nature,” said the President.
- Deputy Minister of Villages, Development of Disadvantaged Regions, and Transmigration: Budi Arie Setiadi. He is pro-Jokowi Chairman
Considering we have 74,800 villages throughout the country, according to the President, Minister of the Villages needs to be given a backup so the Village Funds that has reached more than Rp70 trillion per year can be monitored.
- Deputy Minister of Agrarian Affairs and Spatial Planning/Deputy Head of National Land Agency: Surya Tjandra. He is the Indonesian Solidarity Party (PSI) politician.
“He will help the Minister in resolving agrarian conflicts and land disputes,” the President said, adding that he had given a target within one year to finish. “The Key Performance Indicators (KPI) are clear, concrete, and all are based on clear calculations,” the President said.
- Deputy Minister of State-owned Enterprises: Budi Gunadi Sadikin. Budi is an experienced banker who had been a President Director of state-owned lender Bank Mandiri. He is also currently President Director of Mining Industry Indonesia (MIND ID).
“We have 140 state-owned enterprises, with assets of approximately Rp8,400 trillion, which require very good management, supervision and control. So, it will truly become an increasing asset and make a good contribution to the people and to the country,” the President said.
- Deputy Minister of State-owned Enterprises: Kartika Wirjoatmodjo. Kartika is also President Director of state-owned lender Bank Mandiri.
“So, there are two deputy ministers in Ministry of State-owned Enterprises and both are bankers. We hope that there will be a big leap later on, both in terms of valuing existing assets,’ the President said, adding that he had already said to look for good partners so that our enterprises truly became a reputable corporation at a global level.
- Deputy Minister of Tourism and Creative Economy: Angela Herliani Tanoesoedibjo. She is the daughter of United Indonesia Party (Perindo) founder Hary Tanoesoedibjo.
“She is still a young, experienced entrepreneur in the media field, smart in promotions. We hope our tourism promotion will be more focused and there will be more tourists visiting Indonesia,” the President concluded. (FID/RAH/ES)
Translated by: Muhardi
Edited by: M. Ersan Pamungkas