Gov’t to Provide Relief to Rebuild Houses in Quake-Hit Maluku
Date 29 Oktober 2019
The Government will provide relief for quake victims whose houses were damaged in the 6.5-magnitude quake that hit Maluku province last month, President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo announced on Tuesday (29/10).
The quake hit the island of Ambon, where the provincial capital Ambon City is located.
“For those whose houses sustain severe, moderate, and light damages, they will receive Rp50 million, Rp25 million, and Rp10 million respectively,” the President said after meeting with the quake victims in Central Maluku as part of his working visit to the eastern province.
The amount of aid provided by the Government is the same as that in other regions, such as in West Nusa Tenggara (NTB) province and in Palu in Central Sulawesi province, he added.
According to the President, since the funds were sourced from the Central Government, he told village and district heads to monitor the distribution because the funds will be directly distributed to the affected residents.
He added that Ministry of Public Works and Public Housing will be in charge of building quake-resistant houses.
The President also acknowledged delay in the re-construction of houses due to administrative matters, adding that the reconstruction will begin after no more aftershock is reported.
The National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) reported that more than 12,000 houses have been damaged, including 2,712 houses with severe damage, 3,317 houses with moderate damage, and 6,108 houses with slight damage as well as 730 public facilities that were not spared by the quake.
The agency also reported that the quake had left 41 dead, 228 injured and displaced 103,301 residents
Situated in the Pacific Ring of Fire, much of Indonesia is prone to natural disasters, including earthquake. (FID/DNS/ES)
Translated by: Muhardi
Edited by: M. Ersan Pamungkas