Gov’t to Take Several Steps to Handle Sinar Bangun Accident

By Office of Assistant to Deputy Cabinet Secretary for State Documents & Translation
Date 21 Juni 2018
Category: News
Read: 1.361 Views
Head of BNPP Air Marshall M. Syaugi, accompanied by Minister of Transportation Budi K. Sumadi, holds a press conference at Bogor Presidential Palace, West Java, Wednesday (6/20). (Photo by: Presidential Secretariat).

Head of BNPP Air Marshall M. Syaugi, accompanied by Minister of Transportation Budi K. Sumadi, holds a press conference at Bogor Presidential Palace, West Java, Wednesday (6/20). (Photo by: Presidential Secretariat).

Minister of Transportation Budi Karya Sumadi said the Ministry has set up a team to search, rescue and handle victims, as well as to conduct a fact-finding investigation on Motor Vessel Sinar Bangun accident in Lake Toba, North Sumatra, on Monday (18/6).

“The National Search and Rescue Agency (BNPP, previously known as Basarnas) is responsible for search and rescue operation,” Budi said at Bogor Presidential Palace, West Java, Wednesday (6/20).

According to the Minister, the first step is setting up a search and rescue team under the responsibility of Basarnas, involving the Indonesian National Police (Polri), the Indonesian National Defense Forces (TNI), and regional governments. He added that the fact-finding team from National Transportation Safety Committee (KNKT) has been established to search for the cause of the accident.

In the meantime, Head of the National Search and Rescue Agency (BNPP) Air Marshall TNI M. Syaugi explained that the agency had deployed 70 personnel to search and rescue the victims. According to him, after getting information about the accident, the agency immediately reached the location and search for the victims.

“At 17:40 Western Indonesian Time we received the information, at 18.00 Western Indonesian Time, the Basarnas rushed toward the location. The trip from Parapat post, – the nearest post to the location – is 10 nautical miles and it took approximately 45 minutes,” Syaugi said.

In the first attempt, the National Search and Rescue Agency, supported by the National Police, TNI, and the locals, could find 19 victims, 18 of whom were rescued.

Syaugi further said that the operation would be held for 7 to 10 days and would be extended if there are still missing victims. He also expressed his hope that all the victims can be found and promised that the agency will do its best.

In addition to searching and handling victims, the Government through the KNKT will also conduct an audit for water transportation. For the record, President Joko ‘Jokowi’ Widodo has instructed that the result of the audit will be the basis for the Ministry of Transportation to regulate the operation of water transportation to prevent similar accidents.

“The next step is the audit conducted by KNKT, which will be the basis for us to evaluate organization, operation, and management of water transportation in order to make it better,” Minister of Transportation concluded. (BMPI Setpres/ES) (RI/EP/Naster)

Latest News