President Jokowi Inspects Disaster Management in E. Nusa Tenggara

By Office of Assistant to Deputy Cabinet Secretary for State Documents & Translation
Date 9 April 2021
Category: News
Read: 51 Views

President Jokowi inspects disaster-affected area in Amakaka Village, Ile Ape District, Lembata, East Nusa Tenggara (NTT), Friday (9/4). (Photo by: Presidential Secretariat Press Bureau/Laily Rachev)

As part of his working visit to East Nusa Tenggara (NTT) Province, President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo on Friday (9/4) inspected Amakaka Village in Ile Ape District due to tropical cyclone Seroja.

Upon the arrival, the Head of State and his entourage inspected the most impacted location caused by flash floods in Lembata Regency.

“Today, I am in Amakaka Village, where flash flood in Lembata Regency has killed more victims here,” the President said.

On behalf of himself and the Government, the Head of State expressed his condolences to the victims of disasters.

“On behalf of myself and representing the Government, I would like to extend my deepest sorrow for the victims. Hopefully, the spirits of the victims will be received by God the Almighty in the best possible place, and families will be given sincerity and patience,” he said.

On that occasion, the President also inspected local residents in refugee shelters at the Ile Ape District Office. The Head of State visited the refugees and ensured all the needs of the refugees. The President also listened to a number of complaints from the local community which will be followed up during the handling process.

“For evacuation, it has also been confirmed that the logistics will be sufficient. However, there were people who said that the fuel is expensive. I accept the input,” the President said.

Through this working visit, President Jokowi has discussed post-disaster management and recovery in the local area with Governor of East Nusa Tenggara Viktor Laiskodat and Lembata Regent Eliaser Yentji Sunur. With the consent of the community, all residents in the affected locations will be relocated since the construction process will be carried out immediately.

In addition, the President ordered that the searching process in a rocky terrain by using heavy equipment should continue despite the difficulties faced.

“As of this afternoon, a total of 163 victims in East Nusa Tenggara have died and 45 people are still in search. This is what we will continue to strive so undiscovered victims can be found immediately. We’re aware that the ground is indeed rocky, with large stones, which makes it difficult for our heavy equipment to function. However, I ordered them to continue the searching process and find those who are still missing,” he said.

Previously, Lembata Regent Eliaser Yentji Sunur has set an emergency response status for handling flash floods, landslides, and tidal waves occurred in his area. This status is set from 4 to 17 April 2021 to accelerate the recovery process for the impacted areas.

For the record, the Head of State and his limited entourage arrived at Sikka Regency at around 9.38 a.m. Central Indonesian Time. Afterwards, the President is scheduled to visit the affected area in Ile Ape District using the Indonesian Air Force Super Puma helicopter to Wonopito Airport, Lembata Regency, then traverse land route to the location. (BPMI/UN) (RIF/LW)

Latest News