RI Foreign Minister: 16 Indonesians in Marawi Ask for Evacuation

By Office of Assistant to Deputy Cabinet Secretary for State Documents & Translation
Date 30 Mei 2017
Category: News
Read: 6.693 Views
Foreign Minister answers reporter's questions after the Plenary Cabinet meeting at the Bogor Presidential Palace, West Java, Monday (29/5). (Photo: PR/Rahmat)

Foreign Minister answers reporter’s questions after the Plenary Cabinet meeting at the Bogor Presidential Palace, West Java, Monday (29/5). (Photo: PR/Rahmat)

Indonesian Minister of Foreign Affairs Retno Marsudi provides information on the latest developments of Indonesian Citizens who are currently in the military emergency area in Marawi, the Philippines.

The Minister said that they have asked for help to be evacuated. “We have received requests from the 16 Indonesian citizens that they need to be evacuated. As of now, we are not or have not been able to take actions. Based on the information from the local authorities, the operation is still underway. Hence, we cannot take actions,” the Minister said after attending a Plenary Cabinet Meeting at the Bogor Presidential Palace, West Java, Monday (29/5) afternoon.

Based on the information from the local authorities, according to the Minister, there are currently 16 Indonesian citizens who are known to be in one mosque in Marawi City. “They are there and in good condition,” the Minister said.

Previously, Director of Protection of Indonesian Citizens and Legal Entities of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Lalu Muhammad Iqbal, through a short message, Monday (29/5), said that they are members of Jamaah Tabligh who perform khuruj, an Islamic practice of traveling around the world to spread the message of Allah preach, for 40 days in the Philippines. The Jamaah Tabligh Headquarters of the Philippines happens to be in Marawi.

Foreign Minister Retno explained that the Indoneisan Consulate General (KJRI) in Davao City has made contact with either a group of 10 people or a group of 6 people. “That is an update I can give you so far,” she continued.

Related to the possibility of Indonesian citizens who died in the conflict between the military and armed groups in Marawi, Retno admitted that she could not confirm the information yet. She further explained that the current situation is in emergency. So, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs tries to hold first what the situation is like. “After that, we will talk about what measures should be taken next, and usually we are not only stick to one scenario,” the Foreign Affairs Minister concluded. (RMI/ES) (MUR/YM/Naster).

Latest News